Getting Started with e-Books in eLibraryNJ
(if you are using a Nook, Sony eReader, etc.)
- Click on Adobe Digital Editions under Software Downloads.
- Make sure that your computer or device meets the system requirements for Adobe Digital Editions.
- Download Adobe Digital Editions.
In addition to the Adobe Digital Editions Software, you will also need to have Adobe Flash Player installed on your computer.
Once installed, you must create an Adobe ID so that you can transfer eBooks from your computer to your device.
Finding and Checking Out an e-Book
Go to the eLibraryNJ homepage.
Sign in to your Account:
- Click on Sign In towards the top of the page
- Select ‘Libraries of Middlesex Automation Consortium’ as your Library.
- Type in your complete library card number beginning with 29370.
- Enter your PIN. If you do not have a PIN, you will need to see someone at the circulation desk at the Library. PINs cannot be given out over the phone.
- Hit <Enter> or click on ‘Sign In’.
Search for a book:
- By title, author, subject, etc. in the Quick Search on the right side of the page.
- You can narrow the search by eBook or Audiobook, or select only available copies using the advanced search.
- You can browse the collection by genre using the categories below the Quick Search box.
- Select your book; e-books have a book icon on the upper right corner. If it is black it can be checked out, if it is grey, you can place a hold.
- Once you select a book, select “Borrow” then “Go to Bookshelf”. Select “Download” and check either “E Pub” or “PDF eBook”. Finally select “Confirm and Download”.
- Once you click on “Confirm & Download” the file will download as .acsm file. Adobe Digital Editions will open automatically or you may have to open the file with Adobe Digital Editions. And the e-book will download immediately.
How to Navigate an e-Book in Adobe Digital Editions
Select the title you’d like to read from the bookshelf screen of Adobe Digital Editions. You will also be able to see which titles have expired and how many days are left on other titles.
You can open the e-book by double clicking on the cover/title or by right clicking and selecting open book. (This is also where you can return a book by selecting Return Borrowed Item.)
Once you have opened the e-book, use the On-Screen Navigation to jump to specific sections. You can also use the scroll wheel on your mouse or the arrow keys on your keyboard to advance pages.
How to Transfer a Book to Your Portable Device
To transfer Adobe eBooks using Adobe Digital Editions…
- Open Adobe Digital Editions.
- Click on the Adobe eBook you want to transfer.
- Drag the Adobe eBook to the eBook device icon in the left pane of Adobe Digital Editions.
The ‘Copy Documents’ dialog box is displayed and the title is transferred.
When transfer is complete the ‘Copy Documents’ dialog box closes. You can now disconnect the eBook device and enjoy the eBook on-the-go.
Note that to transfer Adobe eBooks to a supported eBook device, Adobe Digital Editions and the eBook device must be activated using the same Adobe ID.
The display of Adobe eBooks on eBook devices may vary, depending on the nature of the content.
Want a PDF version of the above instructions with images to show you what your screen should look like? Select from the list below:
This document is a PDF. You will need Adobe Acrobat on your computer to open the files.
Please contact Karen Klapperstuck at (732) 521-5000