Featured Library Apps
What is an app?
App is short for application and usually is a piece of software. In this particular case, we are talking about mobile apps, or software that you download onto your smart phone or other mobile device to access content in a more user friendly manner.
Below are some of the apps that are available for finding, accessing and using library content.
This free download for iOS and Android provides access to our Gale online resources, including:
- Contemporary Authors
- Literature Resource Center
AccessMyLibrary uses GPS to find libraries within a 10-mile radius of your location, then gives you free, unlimited access to their reputable, authoritative Gale online resources — without the need to log in. Remember to bookmark Monroe Township Library to access it from anywhere on earth that you have access to the Internet.
- Barcode scanning capability, so library users can scan the barcode of a book at a bookstore or friend’s home and retrieve availability information on the book at the patron’s library of choice;
- Social recommendation engine powered via Goodreads, enabling iPhone or iPod Touch users to search library holding for friend-recommended reads;
- New York Times best seller list cross-referencing, enabling users to immediately cross-check the best seller list with library holdings and place holds remotely;
- Enhanced account interaction, including the ability for library users to view fines and fees on their Apple mobile device.
The BookMyne application can be downloaded from the Apple App Store for free. For non-iPhone users, all SirsiDynix library technology is supported on Android, Blackberry and other smartphone browsers for mobile-friendly access.
The convenience and rich functionality of the EBSCO app enables users to:
- Choose which databases to search
- Limit results to full text or peer reviewed
- Sort by relevance or date
- Retrieve full text results in HTML and/or PDF formats
- Save results for offline access at a later date
- Email results to self or others
- Retrieve their most recent 25 search results
- Browse a “cover flow” display of search results
To download the EBSCOhost app, access EBSCOhost as you typically would via your library/institution website or corporate intranet. Click the link at the bottom of any EBSCOhost page to email yourself the download instructions, access key and a link to the app store.
Currently only available for the IPhone, Android app coming soon.
This free download for iOS and Android provides access to MP3s.
The Freegal™ Mobile Application is a free and legal way to access a collection of almost 3 million MP3s. The Freegal offering includes many of today’s top artists, a fantastic retrospective collection, and music from around the world.
Once you have downloaded this application, you will be able to search to see if your local library has contracted for the Freegal service. You must have a valid library card.
- Goodreads is the largest site for readers and book recommendations in the world;
- Goodreads users recommend books, compare what they are reading, keep track of what they've read and would like to read, find their next favorite book, form book clubs and much more;
- Our library already uses Goodreads for online discussions.
The Goodreads app is available for many devices, including mobile phones, tablets, and ereaders.
Kindle Reading Apps
- Read Kindle books anywhere using Amazon's Kindle Free Reading Apps;
- Check out an ebook from our Library, and have it delivered wirelessly to your Kindle app;
- Download and read Kindle books, no Kindle required.
Kindle apps are available for many devices, including mobile phones, tablets, and computers.
This free download for iOS and Android allows you to search for Library items, place holds, view your account, and renew items.
Also includes BookLook - you can scan an ISBN barcode and find out if the book is available at any library in our system.
Get free access to more than 34 foreign language courses and 14 English as a second language courses through your local library account. Mango makes learning a new language fast, easy, and incredibly effective.
You will need create a user login on the web-based version of Mango before you can use the app. To get started, the visit Monroe Township Public Library's Mango Languages database. After entering your library card number, create a Mango account (email address and password), then use that email address and password to log in to the app.
OneClickdigital Media Manager
This free download for iOS provides access to downloadable digital audiobooks.
Search for the FREE OneClickDigital app on the iTunes App store. First visit our Library's OneClickDigital site to create your account, you can then use the app to sign in to your account, access your checkouts, browse and check out new titles, and download directly to your device using the app.
OverDrive Media Console
Make downloading books through the public library easier with the OverDrive Media Console App.
- Single-click downloads from an OverDrive-powered site to your computer or mobile device.
- Available for Windows & Mac computers, plus Android, BlackBerry, iPhone/iPad, & Windows Mobile devices.
- Burn to CD and transfer to compatible devices.
Supported formats vary. See which formats are compatible.
Instruction sheet for downloading and using the app (created by Library staff)
YALSA's Teen Book Finder
YALSA's Teen Book Finder is a free app to help teens, parents, librarians and library staff, educators, and anyone who loves YA literature access to the past three years' of YALSA's awards and lists on their smartphone.
Have an iPod Touch, an iPhone or an iPad? Download the app now!
App features include:
- a homepage featuring three titles from the database, refreshed each day
- the ability to search for books by author, title, award/list year, genre, by award, and by booklist
- a Find It! button, powered by the OCLC WorldCat Search API, that will show users where to find the book in a nearby library
- a Favorites button, to create an individualized booklist
- the ability to share books from the Teen Book Finder on Twitter and Facebook
An Android version of the app is planned for later in 2012.
The app is funded by the Dollar General Literacy Foundation. The app was developed by Ora Interactive.
- Book Lovers
- Contact Us